Tina's Top 10 of Things To Do In NYC(I'm from NJ but moving into Manhattan - I know the city VERY well)(Not to mention I'm a professional travel agent and travel writer). While this top 10 list is intended for visitors, locals might find an idea or two for themselves...
1.) If it's your first time in the city, I'd highly recommend taking Gray Line/CoachUSA New York Sightseeing Bus. With knowledgeable guides and on/off privileges, it makes for a good investment for those visiting New York, especially if it's your first time to NYC. The company has been in business for over 75 years and prices currently start at $34 per adult. Here's the link: /www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/">http://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/http://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/">http://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/a>>
2) Macy's. Yes REALLY, I promise you this unlike every other Macy's you've ever visited. It's 9 stories of incredible shopping AND eating! Located at 151 West 34th Street, allow yourself plenty of time to explore everything this treasured landmark. See my entry on October 26, 206 for more information about Macys.
3) Rockefeller Center. More than just an ice staking rink, there is a lot to see and do at this location including the NBC studios tour. Here's the link: /www.rockefellercenter.com/home.html">http://www.rockefellercenter.com/home.htmlhttp://www.rockefellercenter.com/home.html">http://www.rockefellercenter.com/home.htmla>>
Be sure to check out Top of the Rock too! /www.topoftherocknyc.com/">http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/">http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/a>>
Go across the street to Morrell's, one of the best wine bars in the city. Here's the link: /www.morrellwinebar.com/winebar/index.asp">http://www.morrellwinebar.com/winebar/index.asphttp://www.morrellwinebar.com/winebar/index.asp">http://www.morrellwinebar.com/winebar/index.aspa>>
4) Central Park. Lots of hidden treasures in here that visitors often miss.
Check out the Central Park Zoo /www.centralpark.com/pages/central-park-zoo.html">http://www.centralpark.com/pages/central-park-zoo.htmlhttp://www.centralpark.com/pages/central-park-zoo.html">http://www.centralpark.com/pages/central-park-zoo.htmla>>
Wollman Ice Rink /www.centralpark.com/pages/sports/ice-skating.html">http://www.centralpark.com/pages/sports/ice-skating.htmlhttp://www.centralpark.com/pages/sports/ice-skating.html">http://www.centralpark.com/pages/sports/ice-skating.htmla>>
Boathouse Restuarant /www.centralpark.com/pages/attractions/loeb-boathouse.html">http://www.centralpark.com/pages/attractions/loeb-boathouse.htmlhttp://www.centralpark.com/pages/attractions/loeb-boathouse.html">http://www.centralpark.com/pages/attractions/loeb-boathouse.htmla>>
And much more....
5) Museum of Natural History. Here's the link: /www.amnh.org/">http://www.amnh.org/http://www.amnh.org/">http://www.amnh.org/a>>
Check out Starry Nights - Jazz and Tapas on the first Friday of every month at the Musuem of Natural History /www.amnh.org/rose/specials/jazz/?src=h_p">http://www.amnh.org/rose/specials/jazz/?src=h_phttp://www.amnh.org/rose/specials/jazz/?src=h_p">http://www.amnh.org/rose/specials/jazz/?src=h_pa>>
6) Luxury Chocolate Walking Tour - in a word, YUMMY! Here's the link: /www.viator.com/tours/New-York-City/NYC-Luxury-Chocolate-Walking-Tour/d687-3984CHOC">http://www.viator.com/tours/New-York-City/NYC-Luxury-Chocolate-Walking-Tour/d687-3984CHOChttp://www.viator.com/tours/New-York-City/NYC-Luxury-Chocolate-Walking-Tour/d687-3984CHOC">http://www.viator.com/tours/New-York-City/NYC-Luxury-Chocolate-Walking-Tour/d687-3984CHOCa>>
7) FAO Schwarz, even if you don't have kids, a trip to this toy store can bring out the kid in you. Located at 767 Fifth Avenue (Fifth Ave at 58th Street) - just be forewarned during the holiday season there are often lines just to get in the store. Here's the link: /www.fao.com">http://www.fao.comhttp://www.fao.com">http://www.fao.coma>>
8) Ferrara's - one of the few reasons to still go to Little Italy. Some of the best Italian desserts in New York City. Often a short wait for a table but, well worth it. Here's the link: /www.ferraracafe.com/">http://www.ferraracafe.com/http://www.ferraracafe.com/">http://www.ferraracafe.com/a>>
9) Lincoln Center - from Opera to Ballet to special events, Lincoln Center is an excellent venue for locals and visitors alike. Guided Tours are available, here's the website: /www.lincolncenter.org/load_screen.asp?screen=visitorinfo_indivtours">http://www.lincolncenter.org/load_screen.asp?screen=visitorinfo_indivtourshttp://www.lincolncenter.org/load_screen.asp?screen=visitorinfo_indivtours">http://www.lincolncenter.org/load_screen.asp?screen=visitorinfo_indivtoursa>> and the general information website is: /www.lincolncenter.org/">http://www.lincolncenter.org/http://www.lincolncenter.org/">http://www.lincolncenter.org/a>>
10) Broadway - too many shows to list. For tickets visit: /www.telecharge.com">http://www.telecharge.comhttp://www.telecharge.com">http://www.telecharge.coma>> or /www.broadway.com">http://www.broadway.comhttp://www.broadway.com">http://www.broadway.coma>>
If you don't mind taking "what's left" regarding theater tickets...Check out the Times Square Booth The main discount ticket booth is located in Duffy Square, which is in the heart of Times Square, at Broadway and 47th Street. On Mondays through Saturdays you can purchase same-day tickets for evening shows between 3PM and 8PM, and on Wednesdays and Saturdays you can buy matinee tickets between 10AM and 2PM. On Sundays, the booth sells matinee tickets from 11AM to 3PM, and tickets for evening shows from 3PM until closing.
PLEASE NOTE! As of May 2, 2006, Duffy Square is being renovated, so the booth has been temporarily relocated a block away, tucked into a spot by the Marriott Marquis Hotel. You will find it on 46th Street, between Broadway and 8th Avenue (but closer to Broadway). You may also see some people in front of the hotel wearing "tkts Staff" T-shirts who can help direct you to the booth if you're having trouble finding it. The same hours listed above apply at the temporary location.
Hope this helps and hopefully you have a wonderful time in NYC!